Two arrested for 2013 murder


Two Nolan County men were arrested in connection with the 2013 murder of Justin Vaughn.
Anthony Gutierrez, 26, of Sweetwater, was arrested at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at the intersection of 12th and Cypress streets in Sweetwater.
He was arrested on a Scurry County warrant for capital murder and remains in the Nolan County Jail. Bond has not been set.
Christopher Devon Boyd, 21, of Roscoe, was arrested at 5:17 p.m. Thursday in Nolan County. Boyd was transferred to the Scurry County Jail and was charged with capital murder. Bond was at $500,000 and he remains in jail.
Sweetwater Chief of Police Brian Frieda said Gutierrez was recognized by an off-duty Nolan County Sheriff’s deputy on Saturday, who then called Sweetwater police.
A Sweetwater officer approached Gutierrez in a vehicle and he was taken into custody without incident, Frieda said.
Snyder Police Chief Terry Luecke said other individuals have been identified in the case.
“Their identities are not being released at this time,” Luecke said in a press release issued today. “At this time, no other information will be released on this investigation as not to jeopardize the investigation or hinder locating the other parties identified in this case.”
On March 13, 2013, Snyder police responded to a call regarding a shooting at a residence in the 200 block of 36th Street. Vaughn’s wife and three children were at the residence at the time of the shooting, Luecke previously said.
According to police reports, two shots were fired in the incident. Luecke said investigators believe only one gun was used in the murder.
Neighbors told the Snyder Daily News that there was heavy traffic at the home at all hours and that the couple often fought. However, those allegations were not substantiated by police.
Vaughn, 25, was the manager at Colortyme in Snyder and was a member of Trinity United Methodist Church.
Members of Vaughn’s family put posters around Snyder one year after his death seeking information.
“We’re putting up posters all around town,” Jeff Vaughn said in 2014. “We’re still hoping that whoever did this gets caught because these people are walking the streets and I’d hate for this to happen to somebody else’s family.”
Vaughn’s father, Jeff, said police, in 2014, kept the family informed.
“The detectives have been very good at gathering information and there is still some forensics that we still haven’t gotten back that will hopefully provide us the break we need,” the elder Vaughn said. “Sgt. (Kyle) Burleson is really good about keeping me updated.”